Zenfolio | Rick Andrews Wildlife Photography | Blog

KEPA Summit 2018

June 11, 2018  •  Leave a Comment
Last week I was very happy to screen my documentary film “Wildlife of the Oldman River Valley” at the fifth annual KEPA (Kainai Ecosystems Protection Association) Summit held that day at the University of Lethbridge. The following day, as a registrant of the Summit, I was honoured to visit the Belly Buttes, and watch a Niitoy-yiss (tipi) raising an...
Read the Full Post »

Wildlife of the Oldman River Documentary Film Update

November 17, 2017  •  Leave a Comment
Wow what a year! With the exception of a week spent in Alaska photographing coastal brown bears, the remainder of the year (and three months of last year), were all dedicated to filming my first documentary film - “Wildlife of the Oldman River Valley.” Set in Lethbridge’s beautiful Oldman River valley, the documentary follows a variety of wildlife...
Read the Full Post »

Kenow Fire - More Questions than Answers

September 14, 2017  •  Leave a Comment
In the early mornings hours of September 13, 2017, an intense wildlfire raged through the Akamina and Red Rock valleys of Waterton Lakes National Park. Fuelled by dry trees and grasslands parched by a long hot summer, the fire raced through the park before leaping the highway and entering private land on the north and east sides of the park. The...
Read the Full Post »

BC Government to end Trophy Hunting - Sort of

August 16, 2017  •  Leave a Comment
“People are not going to care about animal conservation unless they think that animals are worthwhile.” ~ David Attenborough Since 80% of Canadians now live in urban areas, it’s sometimes easy to forget that the remaining 20% living in remote and rural areas, still rely on hunting as a major source of food for themselves and their families. Moos...
Read the Full Post »

Alaskan Coastal Brown Bears

July 03, 2017  •  Leave a Comment
I normally don't look forward to flying in small aircraft because the passenger cabin is often cramped and seldom has room for my camera gear. But earlier this month I experienced the exception when I flew from Anchorage, Alaska, to Lake Clark National Park in a de Havilland Beaver. The DHC-Beaver was a workhorse that was used extensively as both...
Read the Full Post »